In the Sweet Seat with Amy Rosen
Updated: Apr 6, 2018
When we're not filming The Baker Sisters, Rach and I love to visit bakeries around town and EAT, and chit chat with the bakers, and EAT, and take in each bakery's unique vibe and did we mention EAT? We had a chance to sit down with Amy Rosen of Rosen's Cinnamon Buns and ask her some drool-worthy questions... ps- Neither Rach or me can explain what's going on with our big-texas hair in this picture...
1) Who taught you how to bake? I'm self taught. I am actually not a baker. I'm a cook. I develop recipes and I had this idea to make cinnamon buns. It took me a long time to develop this recipe because I had to learn the science of baking first!
2) What is your biggest kitchen flop? And greatest kitchen success? When I was seven, I made muffins. I was so proud of these muffins but I think I mixed up baking soda with flour. My whole family took a bite and just to see six people spitting out across the table... And they still make fun of me for it! I was SEVEN! My greatest success is my cinnamon buns.
3) What excites you about this industry? Peoples enthusiasm for the cinnamon buns! They are just walking down the street and smell them and come in and say "What's happening in here?!" People love the smell of baking.
4) What advice would you give to some one starting out? Only do it if you really want to do it. 'Cause it's gonna be hard and you have to be passionate. You can't just step away and think it's gonna take care of itself. You got to be in it to win it.
5) What is your secret sweet store-bought indulgence? Oh my God. So many! But Lindt dark chocolate. I need a square or two every day and I am set. But I need it everyday. I can't go a day with out chocolate. And you didn't think to make a chocolate bun? No, my friend says "Amy, you just gotta own cinnamon".
And she does. You can pick up one of Amy's delicious cinnamon buns at 825 College St Toronto. You'll likely smell them a block out!!